Thursday, April 21, 2011

On goals and running

As mentioned this morning (on my previous entry. Two entries in a day. I must have too much time on my hands), I went to UP to go running/biking. I know I've been running consistently (missing 1 or 2 days at the most), but I wanted to find a good running program for beginners that would help me progress gradually. After googling, I found this The Couch-to-5k Running Plan. I remember reading this in Jill's blog a while back, but I didn't pay much attention then. I figured, since I've been running for more than two weeks now, I'd plunge into the Week 4 routine. I did and I was so exhausted after. It took me less than two rounds to go around the UP oval, but I was still so tired. I walked on my way to the car, got my bike and went around the oval five times. 'Then walked around the oval once for cool down. I didn't realize running/biking takes so much time. I arrived in UP with the sun still up, and I went home at almost dinner time. Or maybe I'm just slow. Hehe.



Lately, I've been thinking of running a marathon or joining a duathlon and maybe, even a triathlon (nyaha). I've never been athletic and I probably sucked at every sport I tried since grade school, but maybe, just maybe, I could pull it off in a real race this time. True, it feels good to run (not everyone would agree, but still..); we all know the health benefits you could get from running constantly. But it's different when you have a goal in mind, when you know you're training for something and you're compelled to do your best and improve every time you run. If you've been running everyday for, let's say a month, and you're still stuck at the same fitness level, either there's something wrong with you or you're simply not taking it seriously. I think, inevitably, you'd get better at what you're doing. And if you're going to do it everyday anyway, why not aspire to achieve something bigger (i.e., finish a race)?

Christian life isn't any different. As you go on with your life, you're bound to get better. You can't be stuck at a particular point and be a baby Christian your entire life. I remember a pastor explaining before that if someone asks how your walk with God is and you say, "it's ok, it's still the same", truth is, you're probably not ok in that aspect. As you grow closer in Christ and get to know him better, your Christian life improves. If nothing has changed and things have been "same as before", then you should check your life again.

Going back to my first point, needless to say, things/activities, even mundane, everyday ones, have greater significance when you know you're doing them for a particular goal. And yes, I've been reminding myself of the need to set specific goals and more importantly, write them down. It's been quite difficult though because there are a lot of things I want to do simultaneously, with equal time and devotion. I know I need to focus on some that I'm really, really passionate about, but it's hard to decide at the moment. Meanwhile, I haphazardly made a "30 Things to Do Before 30" list (which should all be done in a little over a year. haha), but looking at it now, I want to revise everything and break them down neatly into several categories:

1. Live independently
2. Go to Batanes
3. See more of the world
4. Be a paid pro photographer

5. Stand on a surfboard
6. Learn how to cook
7. Draw again
8. Shoot a wedding or event abroad
9. Join a marathon
10. Have my own photo website
11. Be an active blogger
12. Try diving
13. Go to the US again
14. Have a solid investment plan
15. Relive lomo
16. Buy condo
17. Use my legal background to help others
18. Be active in church
19. Play ultimate again. Maybe join a team
20. Train for running/triathlon
21. Get out of comfort zone
22. Bike more
23. Buy my mom a designer bag which I can borrow. Hihi
24. Find a job I really like and actually stay there
25. Take up extra course
26. Throw a birthday bash
27. Try capoeira
28. Join a Chasing Light workshop

29. Do fashion illustration
30. Work or study abroad

I will most definitely revise this and make a better and more detailed one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...