Sunday, June 24, 2012

Working Girl v. 3.0

At present, I'm counting the days until I start with my third job. But let's start from the very beginning: 

Back in 2008, I had a real office! Hehe


Working Girl v. 1.0

Thanks to law school, I started working five years later than most of my college batchmates. Right after the bar results came out in 2008, I started working at a law firm in Ortigas. It felt like being in the TV show Ally Mcbeal, although I never got to watch the show consistently. (If Drop Dead Diva were on then, I would've been inspired by the show. Hehe) I met a lot of great people, and it was my first time to be exposed to real legal work. I did corporate and litigation work, which included appearing in court. I really dreaded court appearances then, but later on, I realized that most of my interesting stories came from the courtroom. I stayed in the firm for a year. 

My office. On my desk was my laptop, which was stolen in 2010. 

With the other junior associates. This was taken during the Christmas party





Working Girl v. 2.0

My second job brought me from the corporate Ortigas area to the streets of Ermita. My old office is right beside Robinson's Galleria; my new office is across Robinson's Place Ermita. My suits/corporate attire were replaced by government uniforms in loud, screaming colors :)) This time, I was prohibited from going to court to avoid conflict of interest. I spent most of my time inside the office to do research and write. While the chances to meet new people were very limited compared to my first job, I still encountered great people who, I predict, will remain to be good friends in the future. 





Working Girl v. 2.5

I've never considered it a real job, but I guess it still counts as one. Since 2009, I've been training to shoot as a wedding/events/lifestyle photographer under Imagine Nation. I later on went solo to shoot kids' events/portraits. This side job has brought me all over - from Baguio to Boracay to Zamboanga to the arms of Derek Ramsay and God-willing, in the future, outside the country as well. I'm still shooting now on the side and it has been fulfilling and fun so far. I really love what I do and I'm passionate about photography. I wish to bless as many people as I can through this work. 

This was my very first shoot as volunteer assistant (VA) for Imagine Nation. Dominic was lead photographer and Hyds was his backup. I had to give up my Eraserheads concert tickets (yes, for their very last concert) just so I can shoot this wedding. I was so exhausted I slept in the van going home from Tagaytay.  


This time, with Derrick
After a wedding. Taken by Jowell
Taken by Jamie. I was supposed to drive the birds away for Mayad's video. I forget now if I was successful in my attempt :))

Working Girl v. 3.0

In less than a month, I'll be ending my stint as a government employee/court attorney and starting my new life as in-house counsel/corporate lawyer (in the Ortigas area again). The past months have been quite crazy since I've been so confused with what I really want to do and what direction God wanted me to take. For lack of a definite plan, I've considered all sorts of career paths. My options ranged from becoming a human rights lawyer to taking the New York bar to becoming a full-time photographer to going back to school to take up visual arts. There are just so many things I wanted to do. In the end, it became settled that God still wants me to pursue a legal career and do photography and other art projects on the side. 

I started to pray about a new job and direction since the year started. I remember years ago, a good friend suggested that in making decisions, I should pray for God to close the doors on the opportunities He didn't want me to take. (She prayed the same prayer on finding 'God's best', and she's happily married now to a godly person) So I prayed for it and I easily eliminated some job options. At one point, I felt that God didn't want me to take on a particular job - so I didn't, even if I had no sure job fallback. I sometimes doubted my decision weeks later. But somehow, there was peace in my heart. My parents kept on asking me if I already had a job (they're probably wondering how long they're going to keep a palamunin kid in the house. Haha), and it was just so difficult to explain that I had no job yet and I was simply waiting for God's timing. Eventually, God let me to a better option and my initial predicament made complete sense. I asked God for a job that would be glorifying to Him, that would allow me to use and maximize the skills and talents He has given me, that wouldn't force me to stop shooting on weekends, and that would allow me to grow professionally. I read my previous entries on my job non-negotiables and I realized God has given me a job that met the qualifications I wanted. Of course, this new job will bring new challenges that would push me to the limits but still, I thank God for giving me this opportunity. He never ceases to amaze me as He brings me opportunities I feel that I don't deserve. For that reason, I dedicate this new job to Him. I pray that as I start on a new career path, I would be able to glorify God with my work and be a blessing to others as well. :)


2 comments:

  1. Great to hear about your new job! Bet you're happy you won't have to wear our current and future government uniform anymore:p

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha YES! but we'll still have uniforms though :)) but in neutral colors na. let's have lunch with the other UP ppl before july 4! si grace alis na rin soon

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...