Wednesday, June 20, 2012

My First 5k Run


My first 5k run ever was anti-climactic. I've been looking forward to joining a fun run since last year, but due to lack of motivation to wake up before 4 in the morning, I never got to join a race. Finally, after almost two months of training at the Milo Apex Running Clinic, I had the opportunity to join a fun run with a group. I felt my first fun run would be the culmination of all the hard work I've poured into training/running exercises thrice a week at the clinic. I envisioned myself at the starting line before sunrise, properly warmed-up, waiting excitedly alongside hundreds of other runners before the race starts, strategizing my speed and form from start to finish. None of it happened. Underestimating the distance between the mountains of Farview and Bonifacio Global City, I arrived at the venue late and I got to the starting line 11 minutes after the gunshot. The sun had already risen but it was a bit cloudy and humid. Without any warm-up at all, I dashed from the parking lot to the registration area (which I didn't find immediately). One of the organizers saw me frantically running to the registration area that he told me to "take it easy" and laughed. By the time I started running, most of the runners have gone far ahead that I had to exert extra effort to catch up with them. Thankfully, a lot of the participants joined for a leisurely walk and not exactly to race, so I caught up with them soon enough. I took comfort in running beside them; at least I wasn't running by myself anymore. 



During the race, I had no planned strategy whatsoever - I ran as soon as I got to the starting point and walked when I got tired, then ran again when I felt like it. I was planning to run the entire race, but I wasn't able to pace myself properly at the start. The entire time, I kept on thinking about how late I was and how I should make up for the lost time. Most of the runners beside me (who, I assumed, were from the 3k category) just wanted to take things easy and walked for most of the race. It felt like the Hunger Games, but I was the only one so into the competition and getting stressed with the race. Hehe. 

I was tempted to take photos during the race but I knew I didn't have time. So I just did my best under the circumstances and ran. I knew I was in bad shape (running without warm-up), but I pressed on. By the time I got to 4 km, the prevailing thought in my head was, "There goes my P500 reg. fee" :)) I didn't know if the run was too short or I was just too preoccupied dwelling on the fact that I was late to appreciate the race itself. Anyway, I finally reached the finish line after 34 minutes. It was pretty average but it was the best one I've had so far. Although I started on the wrong foot (pun unintended), I felt a surge of satisfaction as I got to the finish line. 




I waited for my friend, Riza, who was with the Milo Apex Running Clinic 10k group (my 5k group didn't join this race). There were a lot of people milling around the area, checking out the booths and claiming freebies. There was a stage upfront where they later on awarded the best runners.





Shortly after I finished, it poured hard.

With the 10k BGC Group (photos grabbed from the Milo Apex Facebook page):






Cooling down with the group:




Someone brought eggs and Krispy Kreme doughnuts:



Meanwhile, I had this for breakfast - the real breakfast of champions:



Wrapping up: 


Interesting cloud formation at the Fort:



I failed to mention that two hours after I got home that day, I developed a major headache and I had to force myself to sleep the entire morning to recover. I took Biogesic and my head slightly improved. I got up later than planned and was an hour and a half late for our meeting at the CCF Law Ministry. :P Major life lesson learned: Always come on time.

I seriously want to join another fun run. And next time, I won't be late. :)

4 comments:

  1. That's a fast finish for a first 5k run. Did you see my first 5k? I did it at 50mins! And now I'm not so bad with my 10ks. Kaya yan. Just persevere, keep running and never compare yourself with anyone, it's called a Personal Record for a reason. All you need to know is that, after every time you race or train, your body gets better doing it. ^_^ Happy running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement Mavic! :D Sana nga mag-improve na next time! Namiss namin kayo kahapon, 7 lang kami. Hehe. Let us know when's your next fun run :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Galing! 34 mins for 5K... without warm up pa yan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha thanks mia! (sorry late reply) napressure kasi bilisan hehe

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...