Friday, May 27, 2011

home alone on a friday night



This is a rarity. :P I'm usually the last one to arrive home, but tonight, I'm stuck here while my whole family went out to see Kung Fu Panda 2 (which I've been wanting to see since it came out yesterday. Because I'm a little girl like that). Two days ago, I had an impacted tooth extracted. It didn't hurt as bad as I expected (although it does still hurt, especially right after the anesthesia wore off), but I do feel uncomfortable about it and it sucks having to cover half of my face with my hair to conceal the swollen cheek every time I have to go out. So I'd just rather stay at home than be hassled by my swollen cheek. I didn't think my face could get bigger but apparently, it still could. Now I look like a chipmunk. Or half a chipmunk. Or my 10 year old self with the mumps. I haven't had a decent meal in two days since it's quite painful to eat solids. I've been living on noodle soup and oats these days. I can't run or do any strenuous physical activity though. So I hope it all cancels out. :P



I've been stuck at home the past few days and this is what I've been doing:

1. Fixing my room. I used to have 4 boxes of papers accumulated from law school consisting of notes, digests, reviewers, etc., but I threw a lot of them out. Most of the stuff I've kept not because I'll be needing them again, but to serve as law school memorabilia. But then I realized, I don't even want to be reminded that I went through law school. Hehe. Now I only have one pile of papers and I don't know what to do with them. I'm guessing in a few months I'll be throwing out half of it until I finally dispose everything for good. It's just difficult to clean out everything in one go.



I also threw this away - a diskette organizer. Hehe -



2. Updating my new Tumblr. I used to list five things I'm thankful for for each day in my old Tumblr account, but I figured Tumblr isn't the right avenue for that. I made a more artsy one this time where I can post my random sketches/shots from my digital and analog cams. I was planning on drawing on my unfinished sketchbooks so I'd have more stuff to post, but I can't find my pencils.

3. Updating my lomohome. I've had it since I got my LC-A in 2003. One of the things that prompted me to get an LC-A was having my own lomohome. I miss shooting in film. I miss those days when I would wait excitedly for my scanned negatives to arrive from Digiprint. It used to take them three days to deliver the CDs, sometimes, even earlier. But the last time I availed of their services, it took them a week to deliver the CD and they gave me a generic CD, not the one with the Digiprint logo. Not that the logo matters, but the quality of their services declined somehow since a few years back, probably due to the fact that there are a lot less photographers who shoot in analog these days. While looking for pics to upload, I rediscovered these photos taken with a horizon-like camera, during a trip to Hong Kong two years ago:



Coolness. Now I want an LC-A Wide.

4. Watching Drop Dead Diva. My officemate, Pam, suggested that I watch it, so I downloaded several episodes (never mind the long hours it took me to download them) and now I'm hooked. I love how these lawyer shows (like Ally Mcbeal. And even Legally Blonde) manage to make litigation and working in law firms in general look so fun and interesting. They're good at heavily editing out those parts about attending long board meetings and drafting minutes and hours of doing due diligence, not to mention the number of years it takes to finish a case and the red tape at most government agencies. But then again, most of those only happen in this country. Hehe. Sometimes, I still think of how things would turn out if I didn't leave the firm, and I wonder if I could still handle firm life in the future. Honestly, there are times when I miss the excitement of working in a firm and the diversity of the kind of work I used to do. Back then, I also get to go out and socialize more. Right now, my work is mostly (well, entirely) about research and writing, which I still love, but it could get monotonous at times. I wish, though, in the event that I find myself in a law firm again, just like in DDD, litigation cases would last for one or two days, every case has a direct relevance to what's going on in my life, and I win every case that I handle. Hehe.

5. Watching Season 3 of Parks and Recreation. Now this is something that's closer to home.

6. Finished reading Haruki Murakami's "Norwegian Wood" (hence, the quote on the first picture. I saw it at Books Actually in Chinatown in Singapore last year). Now I'm 1/3 through Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers".

Now I have to think of a list of things to do for tomorrow. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...