Friday, August 24, 2012

The Milo Run




So my runner contacts have been posting that registration is already open for Milo Apex Running School, Season 5, which starts on September 10 in QC and September 11 in BGC. I suddenly realized two things: 1) I haven't blogged about the Milo Run last July 29; 2) I haven't ran outdoors since the Milo Run. Last Tuesday, I had no work and had nothing better to do, so I joined some of the Milo Apex QC runners for a run at the QC Circle. It was also the first day of Coach Jim's Metafil boot camp (we joined in some exercises and the program was more intense than the running school). I realized how much I missed running outdoors. It simply doesn't compare to running on the treadmill. I'm more motivated to run longer distances (and faster at that) when I'm outside, especially with a group of other enthusiasts, rather than running on the treadmill alone.





Anyhoot, here's my short account about one of the biggest (if not the biggest) runners' event in the Philippines, the Milo Run/Marathon. It's a yearly event that has been in effect for more than 30 years already. Last July, around 38,000(!) runners joined the marathon.

To make sure I don't make the same mistakes as I did on my first 5k run, I prepared my things the night before - belt (to hold my phone/water), running shoes, Milo singlet, jogging pants, water bottle, towel. I also brought an extra shirt just in case. My 5k classmates, Mavic and Mia, were supposed to meet me in Cubao at 3:30 in the morning. I set my alarm to 2:45 and turned in at around 9 pm. The next thing I knew, I got a text message from Mavic, telling me that she was on her way to our meeting place. I looked at the clock and saw that it was already 3:15 am! I discovered that the alarm didn't go off. When I checked my alarm, i saw it was inadvertently set to 2:45 PM. I quickly changed clothes and prepared to leave the house. Good thing I prepared everything the night before.

Despite the lapse, we were able to get to the venue early, at around 4:30 am. The gun start for 5k was at 5:30 am. It was still dark out, but a lot of participants were milling around the area. So many little kids participating that day. I felt like I'm part of something really big.

There was a special booth for the Milo Apex Running School Participants (because we're spoiled like that):



Warming up before the run

Minutes before the 5:30 gunstart, we went to the starting line. I realized there were several "waves" at the starting point to accommodate all runners. We ended up at the second wave.




We were so excited when the race started. Coach Jim was waving at us at the finish line like a proud father watching his kids onstage on graduation day. Haha. Everyone was cheering (and taking photos, of course). It was a wonderful feeling. Then, the race began. I started out with Mavic, Mia, and Sir Mon (our tito/big boss at the QC group. Haha). But later on, we all went our separate ways. 

The weather cooperated the entire time. It was cloudy, and I knew the rain would start pouring anytime, but it didn't (at least for the 5k run). It was quite crowded, so I had to zigzag past the other runners. It was interesting to see how diverse the people were - from little kids to young pros to lolos. I was observing the crowd and at the same time keeping track of my time. I finished the race in 34 minutes 44 seconds (according to the chip time). It's almost the same as my first 5k run although this time, I felt I was in a better condition since we did warm-up exercises and I was able to rest well the night before the race. 
Finish line:



We went back to the booth where we saw the other finishers. We were given water and sandwich (because again, we're spoiled like that. Hehe). And then it was a long photo op after the run:

Runners with Coach Jim and his fiancee :)
With some of my classmates from 5k (and some 10k runners as well)
cute kid!
At some point, it began to rain. But it didn't last for long
with my good friend Riza (who told me about the clinic) and her sister Ruth

With our very own Coach Danny! Who finished as one of the top runners in the 42k category. At that rate, he even stopped during the race to help some runners who got injured. He's one of the most inspiring coaches (and the funniest too) at the clinic

more cute kids

and another one

There were performances also

Spongebob runner taking everyone's photo

Meet everyone. Hehe

Everyone looking at Coach Danny's medal



AND of course, the 5k coach (the best coach everrr hehe), Coach Janette Agura who was Top 3 in the 42k female category! Congrats Coach Janette!



Feeling lang :))

Me and Coach Janette :) Thanks so much for everything Coach!! You've been such an encouraging and inspiring coach and friend. You deserve your medal for all the hard work you've poured in to this sport. 
Coach Janette is also Riza and Ruth's coach at the BGC 10k group :)
ehrmergerd runner dog!!

It was just a 5k run, but my Milo Run experience is probably one of the best things that happened to me this year. It was such a privilege to be a part of an institution, to have witnessed such a grand event in the world of running. It was an honor to meet a lot of other inspiring persons who motivate me to do better in running. Definitely, I'll join another fun run/race in the near future. 

I went home that day feeling refreshed and energized. I knew I had to nap though. 

I hope I can join Season 5 next month :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...