Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Deja Vu



 After what happened on September 26, 2009, I didn't think I'd find myself packing relief goods again for disaster victims of a calamity with the same magnitude as typhoon Ondoy. Yet today, I was doing exactly the same thing, at the same venue, for the same reason. As you all may know by now, Manila was placed under a state of calamity due to the continuous rains that have caused extreme flooding around the metro (again). I've heard for some, this disaster is even worse than typhoon Ondoy. Unlike Ondoy that lasted only for a few hours, this one has been going on for days, and the rain continuous to pour as I write. No one probably anticipated that another calamity of this level would hit the country (at least I didn't). I thought, after that fairly recent disaster, it won't happen again any time soon, and that the rain had to stop sometime. It's been almost three days and the weather isn't getting better. I haven't seen the sun in two days. The mood has been dreary all over, and it's just devastating to hear and read about flood-affected areas in the city.





I feel thankful that my family members are all safe. Though we live in an area that's often reported as flooded on TV, our subdivision remains flood-free (thank you by the way to all my concerned friends who texted :) ). I'm safe and dry as well. I now live in my parent's small condo unit just a stone's throw away from my new office and it's one of the best decisions I've made this year (next to getting an iPhone. hehe). I couldn't imagine going home, far up north, in these weather conditions. This morning, to beat the number coding scheme, I went to the office before 7 am only to find out that work was called off today. This seldom happens (at least in the private sector) so you know this is something really unusual. 

The empty streets of Ortigas at 7 am

The view from the building

I went back to the condo, wondering what I'll do for the rest of the day. I've been reading updates on Facebook, texting people and asking how they are. I decided to edit photos and update my portfolio for the rest of the day. Finally, I thought, I'd have time to edit/upload all my backlog, which I never get to do on workdays. Then I saw several FB status updates saying that my old church, GCF, is looking for volunteers to help out victims. GCF is so near our condo. On one hand, I really wanted to help, to do something other than share flood-related status updates on FB. On the other hand, my mind was already set on staying in the whole day. I knew God wanted me to go help. I was having a mini tug of war in my mind with God, negotiating with Him and expressing to Him that I was beginning to feel lazy about going. I knew, though, that I had to go, so I shut down my laptop and proceeded to GCF (after a very short nap) halfheartedly.

The operations started with a few volunteers, but more people came as the relief goods were pouring in. I didn't see familiar faces (it's been years since I last attended there regularly), so it was awkward at first. But later on, some friends I haven't seen in a while, who I didn't think were actually volunteering, came. Between sorting and packing relief goods, I was able to catch up with a friend from my growth group; had a meeting with a couple (whose wedding I'll be shooting next month) and our photography team at their wedding; listened to some encouraging words amidst the storm; prayed for the flood victims with a group, met new people and made new friends. I wasn't planning to stay long, but I ended up staying there until 9 pm, when we were all sent home. The volunteers were even fed dinner. It was so encouraging to be with people who are pursuing the same cause and who are faithful that God is working in the middle of this crisis. I hope that by helping, I was able to contribute something to alleviate the crisis and to glorify God with my work. 

I'd like to commend the GCF Operation Compassion team for being so prompt on responding and efficient with their operations. I pray that despite the calamity, people will somehow see how God's hand is working and that He is still in control. 



List of all those in need of rescue:


The same inflatable raft from the Ondoy rescue:


A very apt poster: 


Some kids helped out too:


Yep, still raining outside:




Relief goods ready for distribution:



The team ended the day with a prayer: 


I hope and pray that things will be a lot better tomorrow. And for everyone out there who needs shelter/help from the late, the GCF doors are open:

"Greenhills Christian Fellowship (GCF Ortigas) is open for people stranded by the rains and needs shelter and protection. Please share to your loved ones and friends in need of help. Rescue operations are also offered by our church. Tel Nos: 632 1354 to 56, 635 0078 to 80, 635 0082 to 83

GCF Ortigas Mobile Hotline: 0920-9612964 (24 hours)"

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...