Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Next Level


This is the group I train with now, headed by our super kind, motherly coach, Coach Janette Agura. I resumed training after "graduating" from Milo Apex Running School in early December


I'm not one to get emotional about...most things, but last week, I had a surge of mixed feelings as I - drumroll please - signed up for my first 21K! I was anxious, excited, worried, proud, all at the same time, although it was mostly anxiety I was feeling. Or more appropriately, panic. I wanted to shout to the high heavens and ask God, "What have I done??" :)) 

Truth is, it took me a while to sign up. I attempted to register for Run United twice at the website, but I chickened out and clicked "Cancel" on both occasions. I finally mustered enough courage to register, paid the fee using my credit card (as opposed to paying via bank deposit, where there's a chance I might just "forget" to pay), and waited for the confirmation through e-mail. 





I've been running since May 2012, but I didn't think I'd commit to running a half-marathon any time soon. Running had been fun so far. It was refreshing for me to engage in an entirely new activity (it has been all about legal work + photography for me the past few years), to get myself acquainted with the running community and be exposed to the running subculture. I ran my first 5K and 10K races last year. Although running requires discipline, my commitment level to it was hardly 100%. I missed training every now and then, lacked sleep before running, "carbo-loaded" the wrong way. I slipped in and out of training, depending on what's convenient for me. I never set personal records, nor did I push myself to run more than I could have. I didn't get into in-depth study of what I was getting into. I'm not even conversant on running gear, shoe brands, or on the best energy drinks/food gel variety in the market. 

The moment I signed up for 21K, I knew things are going to be different. 21K requires commitment, constant preparation and focus. Lack thereof may result in major injury (unfortunately, in some cases, it even led to loss of life). This means giving up nights out with friends, cutting down on rest time, waking up before daybreak to train. This commitment carries with it certain discomforts that I would rather not go through. 

Every time I feel that signing up for a 21K race was a bad idea, I remind myself that this episode would teach me so much about dedication and discipline. I believe that discipline in sports can translate to other aspects in life, especially in terms of my relationship with God, which is something I need right now. Having a goal motivates me to persist on what I'm currently doing. I couldn't excuse myself anymore from running 21K under the guise of "not having enough training" (which was the same reason I used for not signing up at the Condura Skyway race. Hehe). I couldn't go on training one more day, knowing that I'd miss the one after that and be back to square one in a week. There has to be noticeable improvement in terms of my strength level, speed, and overall physical condition. I know I still have ample time to prepare, all I need is focus and consistency. And of course, God's grace. 

So yes, the next few weeks until Run United on March 17 won't be easy. I train twice a week with Coach Janette Agura and the members of "Team Ice Cream" (comprising of some students from Milo Apex Running School). Last night, we did hard core speedwork that left me feeling exhausted until now. But I know this is all going to prepare me to become stronger and hopefully, a lot more fit than when I first started. 

I'm really thankful that I'm training with a group of 21K runners - the "Team Ice Cream" from Milo Apex Running Clinic. And of course, I'm thankful for our very patient and dedicated coach, Coach Janette Agura who used to lead us when I was training for 5K. Training with a group of runners who are stronger and a lot more experienced than I am have pressured me - in a good way - to step up and go beyond what I usually do. It's funny that I actually signed up for training with their group not knowing that they were all training for 21K. Training with them reminds me of Jeremiah 12:5 which says: 

"If you have raced with men on foot
and they have worn you out,
how can you compete with horses?
If you stumble in safe country,
how will you manage in the thickets by the Jordan?"


Ultra/Philippine Sports Commission Track Oval

I just have to post this. Yesterday's "carboloading" at Yabu during lunch time :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...