Friday, January 4, 2013

Gunstart 2013


Finally got my 2013 Starbucks planner yesterday. And look, they got my name wrong :P 
They say the first day of the year sets the tone for the following 364 days, so you have to be keen on how you spend new year's day. Of course we all know that the first day of the new year is no different from any other day but it's nice to think of it as a fresh start, a chance to leave behind disappointments from the past year and to begin life anew. It's the perfect time to shake off all the bad vibes and enter the new year with a clean slate. 

As I wrote before, we spent new year's eve at the cemetery. My mom was in a sullen mood for the rest of the day and she didn't have much time to prepare for media noche. One of our good family friends was nice enough to give us turkey that day as a late Christmas gift, so at least we had something prepared on the table. I was thinking of joining my sister's family at Shangri-la Makati where they were spending the new year, like last year (where there's a street party/concert/countdown to 2013). But my mom wanted to stay home and I decided to join her and my dad, my uncle and cousin, who my aunt left behind. It was the most quiet and uneventful new year's eve I've experienced. No additional guests, no bonggalor spread on the dinner table, no fireworks. Last time we had a quiet new year (back when I was 5? or 6) I threw a tantrum and insisted that we play the usual parlor games before everyone goes to bed. Hehe. My mom slept the night away (until my siblings from US called anyway) while my cousin and I watched GGV :)) I talked with my sister and brother through Skype and later on watched the neighbors' fireworks. 

I woke up early on January  since I had a lot of sleep from the previous night. I wanted to start the year right so I opened the Bible and did my quiet time. I fixed my room a bit, had breakfast and lunch with the family, and later on met up with law school friends. One of our friends from Singapore flew in to Manila unexpectedly. After she left for the airport, I went shopping for new office outfits at the mall then went to UP to run. As expected, there weren't much runners. I planned on running 5k. As my car entered the University Ave., I saw that they still had the Christmas lights around the oblation statue:

It's nice that they haven't taken down the Christmas lights yet :) I feel more affiliated with UP as a UP oval runner than a UP Law graduate. Hehe

When I reached 3 km, it began to rain. I was tempted to stop, as I was feeling a bit tired anyway, after weeks without training. But I told myself I committed to finish 5k and I wasn't going home without finishing the distance I set. I got drenched in the rain but I was able to finish my goal. 

If the first day of the year is really a gauge of how the rest of the year would fare, I'd say it will be a year of stepping up, growing up, going further, leading, and reaching more goals. It will be a year of strengthening my relationship with God, my family, and true friends. I look forward also to continuing the things I loved to do the past year and taking them to the next level - photography, running, and traveling. I want to serve others more through the limited knowledge/skills I have. I intend be more active in church and be equipped enough to lead a group. This year, I also want to focus on something I've set aside and neglected for years - art. 

I'm sure it's going to be another challenging year ahead, but I know I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Whatever the year brings, as I always say, I hope it will take me closer to where Christ wants me to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...