Friday, December 7, 2012

Running in SG - Botanic Gardens


Last Sunday, some of our coaches and friends from the Milo Apex Running Clinic ran half and full marathons at the Standard Chartered Marathon in Singapore. This post has little to do with that. :)) In as much as I wanted to participate in that run, I severely lacked preparation and funds. I'm including an SG marathon (or half-marathon at least) in my bucket list. 

So I'm going to post about another running moment during my recent trip to Singapore. We were supposed to have a group run in Botanic Gardens, until I realized my two companions overslept and won't be able to make it :)) I came there early (around 7:30) as originally planned. I thought 7:30 was too late - races start at around 5 am to avoid the heat. But when I got there, it wasn't hot and sunny at all.

I was amazed at how much running space the park had to offer. It was a refreshing break from my UP oval/Fort runs where I usually end up running literally in circles just to reach 5k. There was so much to see at the Botanic Gardens. It helps to have a scenic view while running - it doesn't feel so obligatory anymore. Of course during this run I spent the first 30 minutes walking around, observing people and taking photos. I was still a tourist, after all. There were a bunch of other runners in the park, a lot more serious-looking than I did. 

I met some furry creatures along the way:





Running paths:








There was a huge lake in the middle of the park. It reminded me of our leisurely run during spring break back in Maryland, where my sister attempted to have photos taken with the ducks and she ended up chasing them away. :))


I was carrying all these while running. I must've looked like I've stolen a pouch and a la sardina cam






Oops:


Interesting art installation somewhere:


I had a difficult time though getting a taxi when I was done, so I decided to call up one of their taxi companies to get one. Within 10 minutes, a taxi came to pick me up. I love how fast and efficient everything is in Singapore. But before that, I got myself a can of Milo from a nearby vendo:


The next time I go to Singapore and I have the urge to run, I'll definitely include the Botanic Gardens in my itinerary. Glad to have visited the park during my last trip; at least I was able to do something different in Singapore, something I haven't done in my previous trips. And at least I was able to burn off (hopefully) all the calories I've consumed during our food trips at Marche with my parents :)) I hope I can run there again during Laneway Festival weekend next year. And I pray I'll be able to sign up for the Standard Chartered Marathon as well :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...