Saturday, November 3, 2012

Last Friday's Run - Clarke Quay, Singapore



I wish I could write about an actual race I ran in Singapore (or in some other country), but for now, I can only share about my experiences in my leisurely runs in different places. Since our US trip last Spring Break, I've made a conscious effort to include running in my travel itinerary. It can be difficult, especially when I would rather dedicate all my time to touring around/pigging out/spending quality time with friends and family. But later on I realized that running is a good way to explore a foreign country and bond with friends/family. One of my most memorable experiences during our US vacation last spring break was when my whole family (sans my mom, who had all sorts of excused cooked up so as not to engage in any physical activity that doesn't involve shopping) went jogging at a park near my brother's house in Maryland. Of course, half of the time we were taking group photos, but at least we had the intention to run together as a family in the name of good health. Hehe. It gave me the chance to see places in a different light and to explore areas I've never been to before. It's so refreshing to visit the local park after days of going to the outlet/eating at the best restos. 

On this Singapore trip, I decided to bring along my running shoes and workout clothes. It can be a hassle to pack my running shoes, so I decided to just wear them during the flight (kebs na lang sa porma). We didn't have a set schedule yet, so I thought I could probably squeeze in running/jogging in the morning or late at night. We stayed at the Studio M Hotel at Robertson Quay, near the Clarke Quay area. There's a nice walkable/joggable trail right beside the hotel that extended until Clarke Quay. Yesterday, despite lack of sleep, I woke up at 7:40 and started running at the riverside. It was still a bit dark out. 




Our hotel was near this bridge:



There was a host of other runners going through the same trail. A lot of them seemed to be serious runners, complete with hydration belts and ipod cases strapped to their arms. I also saw several locals walking their dogs, a lot of foreigners, some old folks doing tai chi, moms taking their young kids to school.


There was a row of hotels and restos a few meters away from our hotel, across the river. A lot of the restos were still closed. The morning sun shone beautifully on the empty chairs and tables as they waited for the customers to arrive:




At around past 8, the sun was already up. The city view and the cloud formation was really nice:



Upon my friend's recommendation, I crossed the overpass from Clarke Quay and went to Fort Canning, hoping to run more. But when I got there, I was already done with 5km and I felt exhausted going up the inclined paths.


There was an empty park. I felt like I was in the middle of the Secret Garden:



I didn't go around Fort Canning since I was too tired and I'm a lola like that. 

After last Friday's run, I've concluded that Singapore is arguably the best city to run in. The weather's nice (at least, that morning), there's no pollution, there's a running/walking/biking trail everywhere. There are runners anywhere you go so you don't feel awkward doing long runs around the city. I enjoyed running in Maryland too months ago, but I felt my ears were going to fall off from frostbite :)) Singapore weather is like Manila but a bit more humid, minus the pollution. My goal is to run at the Standard Chartered Marathon next year in Singapore. I hope by then I can run a half marathon already. (Or full. Who knows? :) )








No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...