Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Tetra Pak - RFR Run


What: Tetra Pak RFR
Where: Bonifacio Global City
Category: 10k
Time: 1:05:10

Last sunday was the Milo Run Finals. But before I blog about that, I'll be posting about my previous runs (because I'm OC like that) I had two 10k races prior to the Milo Run - the Tetra Pak Recycle.Feed.Run and Sunpiology (hihi) which is the subject of my next entry. 

When I signed up for RFR, I was prepared to run alone. I was hoping one of the TSW ladies or at least someone from the Milo Apex group was going to run (and I was almost sure someone will, I just didn't know who), but I decided to sign up anyway since I needed the training. 

It's interesting how each race has its own advocacy/cause. The last race I ran promoted breast cancer awareness; this one encouraged participants to do their share in caring for the environment. Registrants are supposed to give two empty tetrapacks along with the payment. (I didn't, but thankfully they still let me register anyway hehe) Sometimes I wonder, if I were to organize a race, what cause would I promote? Probably I would put up a race to encourage people of whatever age to pursue their passion/s. Then I'd strategically put John Lloyd at the starting line. Wahaha. 

I'm happy about this race for several reasons. One major reason is that I was actually early enough to do warm-up exercises with the other participants (yes, this is a big achievement :P). Usually, I arrive a few minutes before (or after) gunstart. This time, I completed the warm-up exercises together with the other runners. We even saw Diana Zubiri and Jan Marini (from Ang TV, for the uninitiated) onstage.


The starting point at Bonifacio High Street
         
I was supposed to run with Jen, my friend from TSW/Milo Apex, but she wasn't able to arrive in time for the 10k so she decided to run the 5k category instead. When I got to the starting point, I heard a familiar voice call out my name - it was Coach Jackie Gutierrez, one of our coaches from the Milo Apex Running Clinic (10k group). There were other Milo Apex runners with her so I decided to join them. After warm-up, we made our way to the front of the line. 

The starting point was at 28th street at Bonifacio High St. but the route was from BHS to the Edsa-Buendia flyover, all the way to Mapua Institute in Makati:



It was tempting to go all out at the first kilometers, but I didn't want to get sidestitch again like I did at my previous runs. I did a steady, comfortable pace during the first half. It helped that we ran a different route this time. It kept the race interesting. Of course it was quite a challenge running uphill at the Buendia flyover, but it was a surreal experience. I was amazed at the runners who were already making their way back to the starting point.

I only stopped a few times to drink. They were offering Tropicana Coco Quench at the water stations, which was really good. 

Instagramming while running. Ehe.
I took this photo on my way back to BHS, before going up the Buendia flyover for the second half of the race
A runner saw me taking photos with my phone, and offered to take my photo before I ran up the Buendia flyover. (Thank you sir!) Too bad the lighting was bad and he didn't know how to adjust brightness using the iPhone. Waha. And I'm too lazy to edit this in Photoshop so good luck finding me in this photo :))


After I was done with the first half, surprisingly, I didn't feel as exhausted. No throbbing headache, no side stitch. At about the same time in my first 10k run (the Avon run), I was merely forcing myself to run for the sake of finishing the race. I could see a lot of other runners walking their way to the finish line but I was still running. I had enough pent-up energy that I decided to sprint the last few meters. WHICH I don't think I will ever do again because I look unflattering in photos :))))) I thought I slowed down and smiled at every camera, so I don't know how THIS turned up. Wahaha. Crap, I look like a man in this photo :)) But anyway, thank you Mr. Philippe Villareal for the photo. This inspired me to pay more attention to the photographers. The challenge for me is to still look fresh (or at least look like a girl) at the finish line in my next races. Harhar 


Finally, the finish line! I beat my PR at 1:05:10 (chip time). 3 minutes better than my last 10k run  
Jen and me after the race





Me and Yas, my classmate from 5k last season in Milo Apex QC. She was in the PMA back in the day.




    
Kevin (at the left) our "classmate" in the Milo Apex 10k group, who I ran with at the start of the race


With Coach Jackie and the other Milo Apex runners
I just love how the morning sun shines after the race

Free drinks! (in tetrapacks)

Then I had a cup of Jamba Juice after the race: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...