Friday, March 29, 2013

My First Half Marathon


For the longest time, I kept the race kit for my 21K run unopened. Normally, opening a race kit excites me. I always want to know what freebies to get and what the singlet looks like (or if it even fits). Not this time. I didn't want to think about the impending race and opening the package would just make it...real. It would cement my resolve to run a 21K and it will make my decision irreversible. Yes, I'm that anxious about my first 21K :)) (For all I know, the kit may contain a 5K kit by mistake so I'd have nothing to worry about. Hehe)




Last year, when my friends asked me if I wanted to join them for 21K at the Condura Run, I chickened out. They planned on running months before the race but I felt I wasn't ready. Then I decided to sign up for the RU 21K Run after I got a go signal from our coach. Looking back, I think I had more time to prepare for the Condura Run than the RU Run. After I signed up, I began to regret my decision, given the relatively short training time. And I wasn't sure if my body can handle 21K just yet. Our coach assured me that I'll be able to run 21K as long as I'm consistent with training. She also advised me not to push myself too much at the race. Besides, it was my first 21K so it's not like I have a personal record to beat. I wouldn't want to run/walk leisurely though (especially since I had somewhere to go at 8:00 a.m. that day. But that's another story); and I didn't want to be at the tail end of the running group. I also want to run injury-free (and very much alive too. Hehe).

I had a lot of motivation to train for the 21K, and I really wanted to take it seriously. Since I decided to go for 21K, I didn't miss training every Tuesday and Thursday. We were also required to run LSD every weekend. While I didn't get to join our group during the weekend runs, I ran on my own or with other friends. Most of the members of our group have been running 21K, so I had to step up. The past weeks, I found myself running through the busy streets and "uphells" of Ortigas, Pasig and C5, alongside cars and public utility vehicles; we ran and trained under the rain, ran 25 rounds around Ultra, did core exercises. There were days when my body felt sore all over. But I knew that to be able to withstand the 21K distance, I had to push myself to train. There are no shortcuts.

On the day of the race, I got to the venue (SM Mall of Asia) early. I usually arrive a few minutes before gunstart (or even after hehe). I was so focused on getting at the venue early that I forgot my iPod with me; and this I realized right before gunstart, so I had no time to get it in the car. There were so many runners that I ended up in Wave 2. I thought I wasn't going to see anyone I knew, until I saw some runners from Milo Apex QC. Later on, I also saw Mommy Norms, who I train with every Tuesday and Thursday at the Philippine Sports Commission.



I saw this runner with the Bible verse, Philippians 4:13, tacked at the back of his singlet. Phil. 4:13 says, "I can do all this through him who gives me strength." I realized running is such a good way to spread the Word and encourage people. 

We ran through the MOA grounds to Makati. It was dark out (we started at 4 am). I stopped at every possible water/Gatorade station. Runners would run past me but I had to remind myself not to push it too hard. Without my iPod with me, I became more observant and conscious of my surroundings. I saw familiar faces on the way, mostly classmates from training, and seeing them encouraged me to run.


These signs gave me much encouragement, believe it or not.  
I didn't think I'd be so happy to see cups of Gatorade. And water





Seeing all these runners (thousands in this one) makes me wonder what each and every one of them is running for. I know we all have reasons for doing so, and it's interesting to hear each person's inspiring story.

This sign made me so kilig I was on the last stretch :)))
After 2 hours 38 minutes and 10 seconds (based on chip time), I was able to finish the race :) I was actually expecting worse, considering I stopped to drink a lot and walked during some parts, but I'm glad to have finished with this time. AND I was injury-free :) (Except for a bad headache after, but I think that's mostly because I lacked sleep :P) I think I had it even worse during my first 5K ever and in some of the 10K races I've ran. There were races when I just wanted to finish and I could really feel my body struggling and dragging on the entire time. Surprisingly, this one I sincerely enjoyed. :)



So in this particular episode, I relearned a very important life lesson - having a goal pushes you to keep at it. This goes without saying, and I'm sure we've heard it a thousand times before, but it's exciting when you witness this principle unfold in your life. A year ago, running a 21K (or even a 10 at that) would have been unimaginable, but I was able to move from one point to the other with training, a support group, and of course, with God's provision. If I was able to go from 0 to 21K in running, I'm certain that I can do a lot more in other areas in my life - through Christ who strengthens me.


Scene at the finish line

Friends from training:

My friends from church who I met after the race, Peaches and Jen:





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...